I am always hunting for quick, healthy side dishes which can be prepared in minutes on a busy weeknight. This recipe can
be that weeknight go-to or a stunner side dish at a dinner
party, since it goes well with almost everything.
It takes almost no time and was a big surprise when it was a
hit with even my kids. Since then they have also become very open to trying new things and I don't feel the need to dumb down any foods to suit their palate
A bunch of Asparagus spears (preferably thin)
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
4-5 cloves garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
- Trim asparagus spears by either chopping off 2 inches from the bottom or bending and snapping each separately. If toothick they may need peeling since thick fibrous stalk are quite unappetizing.
- Method 1 (recommended): I recommend steaming since it helps retain nutrients better than boiling. Steam the asparagus for 4 minutes. Add a minute or two extra if you have thicker stems.
- Method 2: If you do not have a steamer, don't let that stop you. Bring water to a boil in a pan that will neatly fit all your spears. Drop the asparagus in the water. Bring out your timer and set the timer for 2 minutes. If your have thicker spears, increase the time to 3- 5 minutes.
- If you wish to serve the dish immediately, no need to rinse in cold water. If not, rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process and retain the gorgeous green color.
- Heat the olive oil in a small pan. Once heated, add the mined garlic cloves to it. Cook till soft about a minute or two on medium-low heat. Do not venture away from the stove at this point. It takes only a second to burn garlic (I speak from a LOT of such experience).
- Arrange the asparagus on your serving dish. A square one suits best to create a beautiful plate.
- Add salt and pepper generously. Pour lemon juice to cover entirely. Drizzle the prepared garlic oil to coat evenly.
Tip: In simple dishes like this one try using pink Himalayan
salt. It has a delicate flavor which suits well here.
Serve and enjoy!
Note: The timing for cooking is very critical. Over cooked asparagus is not appetizing.
Steamed asparagus with garlic